Thursday, November 19, 2009


It's been a crazy few days since my last post. When I last posted I was under the impression that he had a minor fall and needed a few stitches, well it was quite a bit more and quite a bit worse than I knew at the time.

That night he called from the hospital and let me know that his partner and another officer were on their way to pick me up at home and take me to him at the hospital. After they picked me up and we were on the way, his partner asked me if I knew what had happened. I told him that from what I gathered was that Le Husband had slid down an embankment and that I had heard about him needing stitches in his arm. He told me that no, it wasn't the embankment, it was a hole he fell into. He said it was a hole about 10-12 feet down that he fell straight into, as if someone had just pulled the floor out from beneath him, but he was going to be okay. I had so much going through my mind and didn't quite understand. When we got to the hospital, I saw quite a few patrol cars parked outside the emergency room. I think that started to scare me even more.

I walked into his hospital cubicle and the Lieutenant and a few other officers were there surrounding the bed. The Lieutenant said hello and I really don't remember what else he said except that they would give Le Husband and I some privacy.

There was Le Husband, lying on a hospital bed in a hospital gown with his arm stretched out and gashed and bleeding on a towel. He was moaning in pain and tried to tell me that when he fell, he landed on his back and that it hurt like hell, but was glad he could move his legs. The reality of what happened hit me like a ton if bricks. I suddenly realized that he could be paralyzed or worse and then just seeing him there in pain like I've never seen him before... I felt myself get really hot all of the sudden, then the room started to spin and then I felt like I was going to throw up. I told him I needed to sit down and grabbed a chair as quickly as I could.

I got him home and he was in pretty bad shape, but has been progressively been getting better. A day or two later we went out to that "hole" so I could get some pictures of it. I could not believe my eyes. This thing was huge (an opening about 6ft. by 4ft. and went about 12 feet down) and was totally concrete. I can't believe this thing wasn't covered. There are screws where a grate or cover should be, but no cover in sight. It just makes me mad that this didn't have to happen.

He's still off work, but is itching to get back soon. He has some physical therapy ahead, which I think will help speed things along. I just thank God it wasn't worse than what it could have been.